Pat Terry 801-463-2439 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Currently an Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Utah, jazz guitar instructor.
- Bachelor of Music degree awarded spring 1987, Jazz performance emphasis; studied composition and scoring with Henry Wolking and guitar with Tonk Edwards, Don Ayers, Kevin Johansen and Tully Cathy. Recipient of jazz area scholarships and on the the Dean's list.
- Fall 2001- Present: Jazz guitar instructor, University of Utah. Duties include teaching private applied lessons to majors and non-majors, assigning grades and adjudicating end of semester juries and entrance auditions. I occasionally sub teaching classes including Jazz Guitar, Jazz Improvisation and Jazz Guitar Ensemble. I have assisted in revamping the Jazz Guitar area entrance, jury and advancement requirements. I have developed many teaching techniques to help guitarists learn to play jazz.
- Performed clinics in Utah public schools and prisons.
- March 2001- Present: Guitar instructor at Guitar Czar (Holladay, Ut) and independently. I have taught and mentored many students that have been accepted as music majors at various universities, including the University of North Texas State, the University of Utah, as well as Salt Lake Community College. Several of these students have been music scholarship recipients.
- September 1984-March 2001: Guitar instructor at Wagstaff's Music (Sandy, Ut) and independently. I averaged thirty students per week, several having been accepted as jazz majors at the University of Utah.
Current Performance Experience
- April 2014: I assumed leadership of the Red Rock Hot Club, and incorporated Hot Club Entertainment.
- I gig frequently with the Red Rock Hot Club, a gypsy jazz ensemble that performs Django Reinhardt compositions, jazz standards and original compositions throughout the west. We have a website at http://www.redrockhotclub.com/. Four CD's are currently available; including the latest 2 CD Release"The Red Rock Hot Club Live at Gracies" with noted L.A. jazz and studio guitarist and composer Mike Miller (released 2013).
- I occasionally perform with the Utah Symphony on guitar and banjo.
- I am on-call for jazz casuals, solo and group performances.
- I also play with the Latin Jazz Factor All Stars.
- I double on banjo, steel guitar and ukulele.
Other Performance Experience
- 2003-2012: I performed regularly with Double Helix (original jazz compositions; five CD's currently available). Information is available at: johnflanders - recordings.
- Purdy Mouth W.V. 2001-2004 (bluegrass; three CD's available).
- Mambo Jumbo 1996-2000 (Latin Jazz, salsa, meringue; three CD's available).
- John Flanders (jazz and jazz fusion; one CD available).
- I Roots (reggae; one CD available).
- Irie Heights (reggae; extensive touring, one CD available).
- Performed live on National Public Radio (the first live edition ever of "Market Place"), as well as many appearances on local TV and radio, including KUER fund drives.
- Performed on the national television series "The Promised Land." Two Tracks from the I Roots CD "Doesn't seem Right" were featured.
- Performed in several Utah Arts Festivals, Park City Jazz Festivals, 2002 Olympic venues, Park City Arts Festivals, and Salt Lake City International Jazz Festivals.
- Opened concerts with nationally and internationally touring acts, including Carol King, Ziggy Marly, Eric Merienthal and many more.
- Performed and recorded with several more jazz, reggae, ska, latin, socca, rock, folk, blues, bluegrass and pop groups.